Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Where have all the good jobs gone? Or memories of a job interview.

Well dear hearts let me preface this post with the fact that I have a daughter out of work, and a son who just lost his job at a plumming company after almost 20 years. He hasn't had to look for work for over 20 years because he was referred to the company by a former employer, so he hasn't had to do much interviewing or any of that other demeaning stuff job hunting puts you through. You know what is the most unnerving to me??? When you go in for the interview. It's the wait time between when you walk in the door and announce yourself to the receptionist, and then she says she will call Mr or Ms. Boss person and let them know you are there. There are two reasons for that you know, first they want you to think they are more important and that their time is very important. In actuality they are sitting in their office finishing their doughnut,... and they want you good and nervous. Well I digress a bit. I was looking over some old blogs I entered back in 08, and found this one about the time I was looking for a part time job. I think it describes how it goes sometimes. Hope you enjoy or can relate.

It's Not Fun Sometimes.

Well guys, here I am a gal who is how shall I say this. A bit older than 25?! (quite a bit older). I have just come back from a job interview with an employment agency (I am looking for a short term job to help pay the gas bills so I don't have to stay home all the time). Below is an account of my trip.
I arrived and filled out the obligatory application and all went well until they put me in this little room and told me to take a timed test. It was an alpha-numeric test, in other worlds, a data entry test. Now my daughter-in-law can do these things blindfolded and with one hand behind her back. But I have a test taking phobia, I think it came about in my first grade year when a very nasty teacher berated me in front of the class because I hadn't got my colors memorized yet. Now I don't want you to think that I don't like teachers, actually I support those brave people who face our youth every day and try to make them care about learning, they should all be nominated for sainthood, but this one particular teacher was not a happy person and she didn't like me so I was her scape goat. Well I digress, that darned data entry timed test brought all that insecurity back to me. My hands got shaky and I did not do very well. The woman said that I did fair, and that they would contact me if they had anything that fit my talents. Which I am fairly sure is short for "see ya". I don't know how anyone else feels but job interviews are not my favorite pastime. I always feel inadequate. I have talents. I think I'm great with people. I have a good personality, at least that is what some of my friends say, and I really do like helping people solve their problems, but when I step into a job interview, It is like I am 10 years old again in front of the teacher trying to explain why I didn't pass that darned spelling test, no not spelling, I was good at that! oh, I know arithmetic. I was bad, am still bad, and probably always will be bad with numbers.
Well anyway I am home now, I have changed back into comfy clothes, I am barefoot, and sitting here typing out my frustrations. There is no big moral to this little blog except I just hate job interviews and would like to hear from some of you about your job hunting tales. Well guess I will close for now. have a good day,

1 comment:

Smashed pennies said...

I havent gone on a job interview in approx 27 years. I did substitute teach while my daughter was in elementary school but I had been a volunteer there so no interview there. It frightens me to death. Its funny too because I was a drug store manager for years and did the interviews. Yes I was finishing my doughnuts. Just kidding .I do remember taking a math and personality test before being hired. I was a cocky 21 year old straight out of college and they kept asking me if i was afraid of spiders in every way possible. Really wierd.