Thursday, January 28, 2010

VOLUNTEER WORK IS KIND A SUCKY... SOMETIMES

Now before you all jump down my throat and think that I am a terrible person for saying bad things about volunteering, I volunteer, I volunteer a lot. I do a lot of work in my church and in various other organizations. But if you are all honest with yourselves and with the world you would agree with me that to volunteer is sucky and probably downright stupid at times. It has been my experience that, at times, they ask volunteers to do stuff they would never even think of asking a paid employee to do. Some of the jobs are kind of like sorting wet sweat socks in a locker room. They are all messy and they stink to high heaven. Well enough of my frustration. I am in the middle of working on a newsletter that should have been started the beginning of Jan. But wasn't. Now dear hearts, I volunteered to do this newsletter twice a year for four, count em four, years!. The problem is It needs to be done a "certain"way, oh! and they never tell you that they always have someone who is also a volunteer, kind of a volunteer superior who knows how it is all to be done, and who doesn't really have a good reason for it being done that way, just because it is the "right" way to do it. I am going up to the printers tomorrow with a copy of the fall newsletter from last year, and see if the boy can help me out. I have done newsletters before, but have been allowed to use my own devices so to speak. This one is different and I am a bit frazzled. I think that I have decided that I am just going to quit worrying about it and I am going to do it the best way I know how, and if that volunteer supervisor says anything, I will just smile and say God Bless you, and go on my merry way. Well that's better. I have vented, and now I feel more relaxed. Hey this blogging is great. I recommend it. Take care. gloria dee/grandmotherhandleyscloset

1 comment:

Smashed pennies said...

You go girl!!! I feel your pain at one point I was a substitute teacher, room mother, classroom helper and the girlscout leader. boy do I have stories. It makes it even worse when you are smarter than the "boss" volunteer. One of my boss volunteers had her child at 16 and never graduated high school. I think she went to church with the others .She drove me insane. There were 2 of us "older" mothers who had college and previous careers. Thank god for Debby . She helped me keep perspective, . Trust me when dealing with situations and people like that its all about perspective. Usually they just need to feel smart and special. Give her that and you could probably write anything. Great blog! lisa