Thursday, July 8, 2010

Words from the past in another part of the country.

If you haven't read Lisa's blog  yet, you probably should, it is great and this blog will make a bit more sense to you. I too share Lisa's love of all things past as long as they don't clutter my already full little home. Vintage cards and magazines and books are my love, so when I read Lisa's (smashed pennies) blog the other day I got out my cards and ran across a letter written in a Get Well card. There is no date on it, but the card is pretty fragile, so I would guess, 1920's or 30's? Well anyway here is what a mid western house wife wrote to another mid western house wife some time in the past.
Dear Lila & Family.
A line to you as I think of you often and hope you are feeling much better than when we heard last and hope the rest of the folks are fine. I suppose your grandpa is fine and I suppose busy. Have you been having some of the winter weather that we are? The ground was froze yesterday morn and puddles of water. We have had some much needed rain but we are wondering whether this has hurt the wheat. It sure fixed my beans and tomatoes but won't worry about them. Little Cathy Sue seems to be doing better. They took a blood test today and said she had infection somewhere and he gave her medicine. Hope that clears it up. The other kiddies are all OK. Catherine I think is feel some better she is uncomfortable. The Dr. put a brace on her and is so uncomfortable she says. Walter and Ann are OK.  Jim and Mildred too. They run the basement walls yesterday and when that is done, maybe it will seem like they are getting along faster. Will be glad for them when it is done. I haven't did any house cleaning and don't know when I will. I had got so near out of dresses, have been trying to get some sewing done and that don't go too fast for me. Well I must quit and write another letter or two. Wanted you to know we think of you often. Am so glad you have two such good house keepers. I know your do appreciate it too. Our love and best wishes to all . From Uncle Chaz and Aunt Pearl.


This was not a noteworthy letter. It wasn't written by some famous person, and it didn't have much in the way of news. It was just a gentle little letter written about every day ordinary things. The stuff that life is made of. Oh how I yearn for the days of letters! They were great but I fear that the gentle art of letter writing has become extinct. Well that's all for now. Hope you enjoyed the trip to the past. Contrary to what some say, we can learn a lot from listening to our past. If we had listened and learned perhaps some our problems in this country could have been alleviated??????  Well bye for now. gloriadee

1 comment:

Smashed pennies said...

You know I am all for women working, so dont get me wrong here, but it does make me wonder how many women work and need to spend all of their income on fast food, gardeners, clothing , gas and car payments , childcare ,etc etc etc. Do they really have extra money at the end of the month ? I know that once I quit work to be home with Erin I was strapped as I made a considerable amount of money but it was not nearly as bad as I thought. People dont realize women at home did contribute so much even though it seems trivial. They planted food, gardened, cleaned the house and made sure everyone was clothed. A gas guzzling SUV was not manditory.